Easy Payroll is committed to complying with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 as amended from time to time (‘Act’). The core requirements of the Act are set out in the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs). The APPs set out how an organisation such as Easy Payroll should collect, hold, use, and disclose personal information. The APPs also give individuals a right to know what information an organisation holds about him or her, and a right to correct it if it is wrong.
This Privacy Statement sets out Easy Payroll’s policy in Australia for handling personal information that is regulated by the Act. Easy Payroll is an Australian registered company and has operations in Sydney, Perth and Melbourne. All client processing and client service is provided by our capable team located in one of these offices.
From time to time, as Easy Payroll updates and improves its service Easy Payroll may change this Privacy Statement. Easy Payroll will publish these changes on its website at easypayroll.com.au/privacy
What personal information does Easy Payroll collect and hold?
Personal information is defined in the Act as “information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not”.
Easy Payroll collects and holds personal information that is reasonably necessary to provide its services. Easy Payroll may collect information from or about individuals including:
- Employees of Easy Payroll Clients: Easy Payroll generally collects personal information such as the individual’s name, address, e-mail address, user ID, banking details, date of birth, payroll details, and employment-related information such as salary details, superannuation contributions, Tax File Number, relevant awards and PAYG withholding tax.
- Client contacts: Easy Payroll collects contact information from or about clients or prospective clients, including individuals working for clients or prospective clients, and records details of interactions with clients and prospective clients. This could include:
- Contact information – information that allows Easy Payroll to communicate with the client, such as their name, username, mailing address, telephone numbers, email address or other addresses that allow Easy Payroll to send messages.
- Relationship information – information that helps Easy Payroll do business with the client, such as the types of products and services that may interest the client, information on the organisation’s size, geographic locations, creditworthiness and demographics.
- Transaction information – information about how the client interacts with Easy Payroll, including purchases, inquiries, customer account information, and information about how the client uses the Easy Payroll websites and applications.
- Employees of EASY PAYROLL: Easy Payroll collects personal information from its employees as described in its Privacy Notice to Associates.
- Applicants for jobs at EASY PAYROLL: Easy Payroll collects contact details, employment history and other background information as required and as permitted by law.
Some personal information collected by Easy Payroll may be sensitive information as defined in the Act; for instance, membership of a trade union (where Easy Payroll pays trade union membership fees on behalf of an employee).
How does Easy Payroll collect and hold personal information?
In most cases, Easy Payroll collects personal information about employees and payment recipients directly from the Easy Payroll client that employs the relevant employee.
As Easy Payroll does not normally deal directly with clients’ employees, it asks its clients to obtain the consent of the individual for the collection, use, and disclosure of the individual’s personal information to and by Easy Payroll. It also asks its clients to have regard to the information in this privacy statement in making its own disclosures to employees under the Privacy Act.
Easy Payroll will ask for personal information (including contact information and relationship information) when a client or prospective client interacts with Easy Payroll, such as registering on an Easy Payroll website, signing up to receive a newsletter, or making a purchase. Easy Payroll may collect additional relationship information from third party data suppliers who enhance Easy Payroll’s files and help Easy Payroll better understand its customers. When products or services are purchased from Easy Payroll, Easy Payroll collects transaction information. Easy Payroll collects transaction information when visiting Easy Payroll’s website, using Easy Payroll applications or contacting Easy Payroll, such as for customer service purposes.
Easy Payroll collects information from a job applicant directly from the applicant or publicly available information. With the consent of the applicant Easy Payroll may conduct reference, background and criminal record checks.
Why does Easy Payroll collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
Easy Payroll deals with personal information for a number of purposes, such as:
- Providing payroll services
- Billing and account management
- Internal business operations such as planning, product development, research, and reporting to Easy Payroll related bodies corporate
- Fulfilling requests for products or services and for related activities, such as product and service delivery, customer service, account management, support and training and to provide other services related to the relationship with Easy Payroll;
- Providing marketing communications and offers for products and services from v and, in some cases, Easy Payroll partners, including offers targeted based on interests, business characteristics and location;
- Administering surveys and other promotional events;
- Determining eligibility for certain products, services or offers;
- Providing additional information that may be of interest, such as Easy Payroll news and announcements and technical service bulletins; and
- Managing Easy Payroll’s everyday business needs, such as payment processing and financial account management, product development, contract management, website administration, forum management, fulfilment, analytics, security and fraud prevention, corporate governance, reporting and legal compliance, and business continuity.
Easy Payroll understands that individuals do not want Easy Payroll to provide their personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes. Easy Payroll limits its sharing of an individual’s personal information as follows:
In using personal information, Easy Payroll may need to disclose personal information to various third parties, such as the Australian Taxation Office, other governmental agencies as required by law, banks/financial institutions, superannuation funds, health funds, contracted service providers, business partners, and related bodies corporate of Easy Payroll.
Easy Payroll may share personal information with Easy Payroll related bodies corporate, which may only use the personal information for the purposes listed above.
Easy Payroll may share personal information with its service providers, who are bound by law or contract to protect the personal information and only use the personal information in accordance with Easy Payroll’s instructions.
Easy Payroll may share personal information with business partners, but only to the extent a product or service has been purchased from such partner, interacted with such partner, or otherwise authorised the sharing. For example, if a person is referred to Easy Payroll from a business partner website, Easy Payroll may provide that partner with the person’s contact information and certain transactional information to validate the referral. Easy Payroll may also provide the person’s contact information to companies that offer complementary products and services if the person requests information about these solutions.
Easy Payroll may disclose personal information where needed to affect the sale or transfer of business assets, to enforce Easy Payroll’s rights, protect Easy Payroll property, or protect the rights, property or safety of others, or as needed to support external auditing, compliance and corporate governance functions. Easy Payroll may also disclose personal information when required or authorised to do so by law.
Please note that Easy Payroll may also use and disclose information about individuals that is not personally identifiable. For example, Easy Payroll may publish reports that contain aggregated and statistical data about Easy Payroll’s clients. These reports do not contain any information that would enable the recipient to contact, locate or identify an individual. These reports also do not contain any identifiable company information.
Where an individual has applied for employment with Easy Payroll, the personal information submitted with their job application will be added to Easy Payroll’s job opportunities database and may be used for recruitment and other customary human resources purposes. For example, Easy Payroll may send the applicant information about new job opportunities within Easy Payroll as well as other career development resources.
The collection, use and disclosure of personal information may be required or authorised under various Commonwealth and State laws, including:
- The Income Tax Assessment Acts
- Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992 (Cth)
- Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth)
- Payroll Tax Acts
- Long Service Leave Acts
- Occupational Health & Safety Acts
- Workers Compensation Acts
- Tax Agent Services Act 2009 and Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009
- Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)
- Corporations Act 2001 (Cth)
- Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth)
- Any secondary legislation pursuant to primary legislation referred to above.
How can individuals access, correct or update their information?
Easy Payroll respects the right of an individual to access and correct their personal information. Where an individual has access to an online account they can log into their account at any time to access and update the information they have provided to Easy Payroll.
Easy Payroll will give individuals access to their personal information on request, subject to the Act. Easy Payroll may impose a charge for giving access to personal information.
If any information is incorrect, Easy Payroll will correct it on request. If the individual has a direct relationship with Easy Payroll, the person or department at Easy Payroll the individual normally deals with should be contacted initially. The request may also be made to Easy Payroll’s Privacy Officer (using the details below).
An individual who is an employee or other payment recipient of an Easy Payroll client is encouraged in the first instance to contact Easy Payroll’s client so that they can ask Easy Payroll to correct its records.
Easy Payroll may require substantiation of any request to correct personal information.
Individuals may request not to receive marketing communications from Easy Payroll. Easy Payroll aims to ensure such requests are complied with within five business days.
What can an individual do if they have a complaint?
Any complaint regarding a possible breach of Easy Payroll’s privacy obligations may be directed to:
- the person or department at Easy Payroll the individual normally deals with, if the individual has a direct relationship with Easy Payroll; and/or
- Easy Payroll’s Privacy Officer (using the details below).
The Privacy Officer will investigate any complaint and notify the individual within a reasonable timeframe of the outcome of the investigation.
Does Easy Payroll disclose personal information to overseas recipients?
Easy Payroll operates it’s business from Australia and all technologies and data storage is within Australia.
How does Easy Payroll protect the security of personal information?
Easy Payroll exercises great care to protect personal information that it holds. This includes, among other things, using industry standard techniques such as firewalls, encryption, intrusion detection, and site monitoring.
Internally, Easy Payroll restricts access to personal information to employees or parties who need access to the information in order to do their jobs. These employees or parties are limited in number, and are committed to maintaining confidentiality.
Easy Payroll reviews its security arrangements from time to time, as it deems appropriate.
Privacy Officer contact details
Easy Payroll Pty Ltd
15 Adventure Place
CARINGBAH NSW 2229
Phone: (02) 9531 1638
Easy Payroll Pty Ltd